Waukegan to College creates brighter futures for students, families, and communities by preparing students to enroll in and graduate from college.
Why Waukegan to College (W2C)?
We believe that all students who have big dreams for their future and are willing to work hard should have a shot at college. We help families who are committed to creating brighter futures for their children by providing them with a unique variety of resources to help their children get on and stay on the path to college. Since our founding in 2009, we have grown by 356% and now have a waiting list!
What We’ve Accomplished
- Our first college graduate from Carroll University earning a BA in Elementary Educational Studies with a minor in Early Childhood Education
- 5 college graduates
- 50 college students completed another year of college
- 10 seniors started their freshmen year in college
- All W2C students are graduating from high school and going to college
- Nearly half of our students achieved High Honor or Honor Roll
- Several W2C students have been inducted into the National Honor Society
- All 9th graders are on a College prep track for high school
- Nearly half participate in on-campus, college summer programs
- More than 80% of W2C students either maintained As or Bs in English or improved their grades; 60% of W2C students either maintained As or Bs in math or improved their grades
- W2C grew to 130 students in 2013-14 up from 25 in 2009
- 100% of students participated in a summer enrichment activity including the Graphic Design program at Iowa State University, and Journalism Workshop at Marquette University, Leadership Lab at Augustana College, Northern IL University’s STEM Camp, COOL Summer Learning and Youth Conservation Camp.
- Volunteers gave over 1400 hours of tutoring and reading assistance
- The Parent Leaders Team scored two major victories – the hiring of a full-time high school Spanish teacher and construction of a safe drop off lane for students at Jefferson Middle School.
- Two Parent Leaders were elected to the W2C Board of Directors
- W2C received the Axelson Center for Nonprofit Management at North Park University’s 2014 Excellent Emerging Organization Award
- W2c was honored as a finalist for the Community Based Organization 2015 Examples of Excelencia 2nd year in a row recipient of the Reflejos Reflecting Excellence Award in the Education Category
- Launched the Falkinham Scholarship, a 4-year, $10,000 per year scholarship offered through the generosity of Ken and Sandy Falkinham
- See more of our results here
- Visit our Events Page for more info!
Our list of W2C student attended colleges continues to grow:
- University of Illinois-Springfield
- College of Lake County
- Dominican University
- Pomona College
- Lake Forest College
- Marion University
- St. Augustine College
- St. Norbert College
- Wittenburg University
- Georgetown University
- DePauw University
- Denison University
- DePaul University